Thursday, March 21, 2013

Welcome to Our Adventure!

Hello!

Allow us to introduce ourselves! We are Carrie and Rachel, two twenty-somethings living in Philadelphia. Collectively, we are a lesbian couple engaged to be married this coming June with lots of other exciting thigns on the horizon. Individually we are simply Carrie and Rachel. We'll start with Carrie.

Hi! I'm Carrie. My fiancee Rachel and I are going to be sharing our many adventures on this new blog! I had lived in central Pennsylvania all my life until I met Rachel in Philadelphia, while she was in her first year of seminary and I was in my last year of college. I moved with her to Connecticut over the summer of 2012. Currently, we are in Philadelphia living at Rachel's seminary. While living here I manage a specialty olive oil and balsamic vinegar store in Chestnut Hill, definitely not what I went to college intending to do but it's a pretty awesome gig, who doesn't like to talk about food all day? Other than working in retail I'm preparing to go back to school to get a masters degree in International Relations or Economics. The past year and a half has been one heck of an adventure all by itself, and I suppose that's where Rachel comes in...

I guess I am the reason Carrie lives at a seminary. I am an ELCA Lutheran seminarian in candidacy for ordained ministry. You could say the journey to this point began long before my baptism at the age of fifteen, but that's a story for another day. I am originally from Connecticut, and I'm very much a New Englander. I went to college in the Boston area, with a brief study-abroad trip to western Europe. I majored in English and Psychology and fully planned on getting my PhD in English literature until I realized that I am called to ministry. Some people probably think it's weird that a lesbian would be in seminary, and maybe it is, but that too is a story for another day.

We have lots of adventures and exciting times around the bend. We are getting married on June 29th, 2013 in Connecticut, and then at the beginning of August 2013 we are moving to Reno, Nevada where I will be serving as the intern at a congregation. In the mean time, we love to read about policy, domestic and international issues, theology, and even some fiction too. We also do a bit of local traveling, we are big time foodies who love trying new things, and while Carrie is a bit of an olive oil snob, Rachel is a wine snob. We will be sure to share some of our favorite recipes here with you!

This blog will primarily be words, though Rachel is a novice photographer and loves taking pictures. We'll write about what's going on in our lives as a lesbian couple in a still very paternalistic society and church. We will also blog about our adventures around Philadelphia and New England, what books we are reading and why you should (or shouldn't!) read them, what shows or movies we are watching, how we feel about political issues, and everything under the sun. We hope you stick around for our journey, and we are honored to share it with you.

Peace,
- Carrie and Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment